Let me just start by saying that I am not one who typically makes soup. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE all kinds of soup. I just assumed they were complicated to make and require lots of time which is something no momma has! Soup and sandwich combo on a cold winter day…mmm, nothing is better am I right??
I had some amazingly savory, buttery butternut squash soup at a friend’s wedding this past Fall and have been dreaming of it ever since. I wouldn’t have ordered it if presented the option at a restaurant but couldn’t pass up the opportunity to try it when I saw the tray of beautiful orange shooters with the soup inside.
One of my New Year resolutions is to include more vegetables into my diet so when I saw butternut squash was on sale at the grocery store I thought I’d give it a shot! It was very easy to make, is a great way to get extra vegetables and vitamins into your diet, and is super tasty!
If you have an immersion blender, this recipe would be a breeze for you to make! I don’t have one so I have to resort to blending everything together in the blender and pouring back into the dutch oven to finish simmering. This process causes a lot of dishes and mess to clean up so be forewarned. But if you stick with it, I promise the end result is so worth it!!!
As always, comment below to let me know if you tried this and how you like it!
Roasted Garlic Butternut Squash Soup
Serves: 8 servings
- Two butternut squash, peel and seeds removed, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peels removed
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or water)
- 1/2 cup organic half-and-half
- 1 Tbsp. dried Thyme
- 1 Tbsp. no-salt all purpose seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, toss squash, garlic, onion, and red pepper with olive oil. Place onto baking sheet and bake for 25-30 min. or until tender.
- Remove from oven and place mixture into blender. Slowly add in the chicken broth while blending, until well incorporated. Blend until mixture is smooth in texture.
- Remove from blender and add into dutch oven with half-and-half, thyme, all purpose seasoning, salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes. Serve warm topped with cheese, chives, and/or bacon.