I just couldn’t contain my excitement any longer and had to share the wonderful news with all my loyal, amazing readers…I’m pregnant!! I am 16 weeks along and doing well overall. This is such an exciting and new experience for my husband and I.
While I am absolutely thrilled to be expecting our first child, something I have dreamed about practically my entire life, I noticed that I also have reservations and doubts. I have some worries about my body changing in ways I might not be able to control or want. After all, I have worked SO hard to get to where I am physically, mentally, and emotionally over the past 4 years of first my weight loss and then weight management.
I have watched what I ate everyday for the past 4 years. I have worked out 5 days a week or more tirelessly. You can’t just flip a switch and change how you view food and your body in a few short weeks. I have been having a bit of trouble gaining weight with my pregnancy. That literally has NEVER been an issue for me my entire life. I mean, it is a little thrilling to think I could (and have been told by many) go shove a hamburger, fries, and shake into my mouth. Yet, I refuse. I refuse because that is a slippery slope of food/lifestyle choices and certainly won’t do me or my baby any good in the long run.
I realize many people will read this post and think that I am being selfish or narcissistic. How could I even think of myself when I am going to be a mother to a beautiful baby?! I know what you may be thinking because I think that sometimes as well. But I refuse to pop that cute little buglet out of me and find myself right back at the beginning of where I was 4 years ago. It is a huge fear of mine, yet at the same time has been a huge motivator for me. I choose instead to minimize the excess weight gain the best that I can.
So, here is my game plan: to eat healthy 85% of the time as I did pre-pregnancy, allowing myself treats/craving splurges the other 15% of the time so that I gain the appropriate 25-30 pounds of weight my doctor told me to gain. It has been a huge struggle to continue working out with the limitations of pregnancy and my lack of energy but I will continue to push through and lift light weights 2x a week and go on leisurely walks 3x per week.
What I’m doing seems to be working! I have gained 1.5 pounds in the past week and a 1/2 (yay!) by adding healthy fats (avocado, nuts, etc.) and high quality, unprocessed carbs to my diet.
This picture is of my progress…starting to show!!! 🙂
I want to inspire other soon-to-be-mamas out there to remember to take time to care for yourself during your pregnancy. Focus on gaining a ‘healthy’ amount of weight by eating nutrient dense foods and continuing (or start!) to moderately work-out. Not only will this make you mentally more prepared for when baby comes but it will make your pregnancy symptoms less severe, helps to prepare your body for the stamina delivery requires, and helps your body bounce back quicker post-delivery.
I can’t wait to share some new recipes with you all over the course of my pregnancy! I hereby promise to omit any involving pickles, chocolate, potatoes, or hamburgers (my current cravings).