I’m backkkk! It has been a crazy summer with working and getting ready for this baby (due ANY day now…)! I have been creating lots of new recipes and taking photos of them just have been so busy at work and drained once I’m home that I haven’t had time to sit down and do any writing.
Given there is a heat dome over Richmond right now and me being 39 weeks pregnant I have only wanted cold foods to eat lately. Cold watermelon is my JAM right now! I think my husband is astonished how quickly I eat all the watermelon. We have to buy 2-3 a week but hey, at least its healthy right?! This pesto pasta recipe looked SO good when I found it on Pinterest I had to give it a go.
This recipe is great for many reasons but most of all because it is super flavorful! Your family and guests will definitely be impressed when you serve this up! The great thing is it is probably even better as leftovers once the pesto has had a chance to really soak in the pasta overnight, enhancing the flavors.
You can absolutely make this 1 step easier by buying pre-made pesto from the store but trust me on this…home made is ALWAYS better. Fresher and healthier. Give this a go and let me know how you love it!
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 package whole wheat rotini (or pasta of choice)
- 2 1/2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
- In food processor, combine pine nuts, garlic cloves, and basil. Pulse until coarsely chopped. Slowly add in the olive oil while pulsing until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper, add cheese, and stir until incorporated.
- Note: If freezing, transfer to an air tight container, drizzle remaining oil overtop and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw, stir in cheese and serve.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Once cooked, rinse with cool water and drain.
- In large bowl, add pasta, pesto, chicken, tomatoes, and fresh basil. Top with additional Pecorino or Parmesan cheese as desired. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (if desired). Serve warm or cold and enjoy!!