Hey everybody! So sorry for making you wait until this morning for this yummy recipe. I had a bunch of stuff going on over the weekend and a tiny health issue on Sunday so I was unable to blog. All is good now and you will have this recipe for the upcoming holiday weekend to impress all your friends and family with!!
So light, fluffy, with the perfect hint of vanilla. Mmmmm. I want some now. It is SO incredibly simple I almost feel stupid posting this. But that would truly be a disservice to you all because I have tried many different recipes for healthier versions of standard buttermilk pancakes over the years and these are the absolute BEST replication of that. I found this recipe from Home Grown and Healthy’s blog if you want to see the original.
Here are some tips to ensure you get the best pancakes:
- The secret to really amazing pancakes is to let the batter sit after mixing so that it gets frothy and bubbly again. Those bubbles create pockets in the batter that adds to the fluffy and light texture you want in the end result.
- As seen below, make sure to wait until the tops begin to bubble prior to flipping so your pancakes don’t break apart and are cooked through. Do not over crowd the pan.They should be perfectly golden brown!
Let me know if you enjoyed these as much as I did!
Serves: Approximately 8 pancakes
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (organic preferably)
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. pure organic maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- Organic butter for cooking
- In a small bowl, combine milk and vinegar. Let stand for 10 minutes to sour.
- In a larger bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Add the milk mixture and stir well to combine. Important: Let stand for approximately 10 more minutes, do not stir any further prior to adding to pan!!
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Add a small amount of butter to pan and let melt. Ladle 1/4 cup of pancake batter at a time into pan (can fit ~ 2 pancakes worth in smaller skillet at a time, do not overcrowd).
- When the top begins to bubble (~2-3 minutes), flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, top with organic raw honey, pure maple syrup, or fresh fruit and enjoy!