Happy Monday!!! I am starting this week of happy, happy, happy because of all of the warm sun shining weather!
I made this pot roast on Friday as I knew I was going to have a long crazy day at work and wouldn’t want to cook dinner when I got home so I planned ahead (go me!). I threw this pot roast together in the crock pot before work (total time: 15 minutes!!!!) and when I got home I was welcomed to the house by the most delicious smell in the world! Walking into your wonderful smelling home after a long day at work knowing you don’t have anything to do but scoop that goodness into a bowl and chow down is an incredible feeling! There is just something about eating meat and potatoes on a cold winters night that warms the soul.
I LOVE crock pot meals. Seriously a life saver for busy nights. They are typically cheap, produce leftovers (at least in my house), and take little time and effort to make. They also require minimal clean-up which is always great in my book. I plan on making a ton of freezer meals for when I have my baby this August so be on the lookout for lots more crock pot meals to come!
This recipe is a classic pot roast in that it has potatoes, beef, celery, carrots, etc. but it cuts the added sodium, fat, and calories I have seen in many other recipes calling for beef broth, butter, or flour.
Healthy Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 1 (2-3lb) Boneless Chuck Roast
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 20-30 baby carrots, whole
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp. Mesquite seasoning
- Fresh cracked black pepper and sea salt
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Season roast with salt, pepper, and 1 Tbsp. of the mesquite seasoning.
- Heat oil in medium sauce pan over high heat. Add roast and turn to sear on each size approximately 1 min. until browned to 1/4 inch thickness. This will keep all the juices locked into the meat, making it more tender.
- Measure out the water into small bowl, whisk together worchestershire sauce, thyme, salt, pepper, and remaining mesquite seasoning.
- To crock pot, add potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, bay leaf, and top with the seared roast. Pour worchestershire mixture over meat.
- Cover with lid and cook on low for 8 hours (or until cooked through and shreds easily with a fork). Serve warm and enjoy!